Dr. Mahendra Narwaria (M.S., FICS, FIAGES, FALS)
Surgical Gastroenterologist, Bariatric & Robotic Surgeon Chairman, Ab Plus Speciality Hospital Ahmedabad, Surat, IN
Dr. Mahendra Narwaria, obtained post-graduate degree in General Surgery from B J Medical College, Ahmedabad in 1996. Subsequently, pursued his interest in Surgical Gastroenterology and Laparoscopic Surgery at Sanjay Gandhi Post-graduate Institute (SGPGI), Lucknow. One of the pioneers of bariatric surgery in India and has performed more than 10,000 Bariatric procedures till date. His patients have access to all possible services of Bariatric Surgery under one roof, Asian Bariatrics Pvt Ltd.
He has held prestigious positions in National bodies like -OSSI, IFSO-APC, IASG, IAGES, AIAARO. He is also an invited faculty at various national and international esteemed universities like Royal College of Edinburgh Scotland, SGPGIMS-Lucknow, Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education , CEMAST- Mumbai. He has numerous research publications in both national and international journals and has also contributed to many books in the field of GI and Bariatric surgery
He holds a Limca record for operating youngest child for Bariatric surgery. Limca book of records also acknowledged his efforts of operating 20 patients in a day. His center Asian Bariatrics is recognized as the center of excellence for Bariatric surgery.
The state government has honored him as “Gujarat Gaurav ” for his contribution in medical sciences. Times group has acknowledged him as the Health Icon for the year 2019.
Name of the Entity
Representing India- Asia Pacific
Vice president-All India Association for Advancing Research in Obesity
Member Governing Council-IFSO,
Member Credential Committee - IFSO,
Guest Editor-Journal of Video Surgery (Poland)
Member Executive Committee -IASG
Editorial Board member of Diabetes & Obesity International Journal(DOIJ)
IAGES- Executive Member
Program Director-Fellowship in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (FMBS ) by Obesityi Surgery Society Of India (OSSI)
Nominated as Member in specialist board of Bariatric Surgery-NBEMS(National Board of Examination in Medical Sciences)
Advisor to Journal of Bariatric Surgery(JBS)- By OSSI
- Honorary Clinical Tutor-Royal College of Edinbrugh Scottland,UK
- Honorary Visiting Professor-SGPGIMS-Lucknow
- Visiting Faculty- Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education (EISE).Mumbai
- Center of Excellence for Minimal Access Surgery Training(CEMAST)- Mumbai
- Endosurgery Task Force (Covieden), Sanghai
- Randomized Double-Blinded Trial of Laparoscopic Gastric Imbrication V Laparoscpic Sleeve Gastractomy at Single Indian Institution
Sunil Sharma, Mahendra Narwaria, Daniel R. Cottam & Samnuel Cottam
Obesity Surgery (2015)25:800-8004, DOI 10.1007/s11695-014-1497-2
- IFSO-APC consensus statements 2011.
Kazunori Kasama, Wilfred Mui, Mahendra Narwaria and Pradeep Chowbey
Obesity Surgery 22(5):677 (2012) PMID 22367008
- Tuberculosis after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity
Lakshman S Khiria and Mahendra Narwaria
Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 7(3):323 (2011) PMID 20727834
- Gastric imbrication for morbid obesity: Early result of new technique
Mahendra Narwaria and Avinash K Tank
Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 6(3):S47 (2010) Top of Form
- Autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia and bilio-pancreatic diversion: A case report
Mahendra Narwaria and Lakshman S Khiria
Obesity Research & Clinical Practice 4(2):e157 (2010)
- A prospective randomized, controlled study comparing low pressure versus high pressure pneumoperitoneum during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.
Vismit Pradyumna VP Joshipura, Narwaria M, Sanjiv P SP Haribhakti, and Rashmi Thakker
Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy & Percutaneous... 19(3):234 (2009) PMID 19542853
- Cefoperazone-sulbactam for treatment of intra-abdominal infections: results from a randomized, parallel group study in India.
Abhijit Chandra, Puneet Dhar, and Manjula Schou, Mahendra Narwaria
Surgical Infections 9(3):367 (2008) PMID 18570578
- A Systematic Review of Bariatric Surgery in Patients with Liver Cirrhosis.
Ahmad Jan MSc, FRCS, Mahendra Narwaria MS MCH, Kamal K Mahawar2 MS MSc FRCSEd
- A prospective, randomized, controlled study comparing Gynemesh, a synthetic mesh, and Pelvicol, a biologic graft, in the surgical treatment of recurrent cystocele.
Harshad Soni & Mahendra Narwaria
- Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery Mahendra Narwaria, M. Manisegaran
- Chapter 118, Bariatric & Metabolic SurgeryMahendra Narwaria, Ahmad Jan.
- Standardization of Bariatric Metabolic Procedures: World Consensus Meeting Statement.
Mohit Bhandari 1 & M. A. L. Fobi 1 & Jane N. Buchwald 2
- Systematic review with a meta-analysis of individual participant data on the effects of bariatric surgery in genetic obesity.
- OSSI (Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society of India) Guidelines for Patient and Procedure Selection for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. A G Bhasker, A Prasad, P Praveen Raj, M Narwaria, S Shah, R Khullar.2021
- Global 30-day outcomes after bariatric surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic (GENEVA): an international cohort study.Rishi Singhal 1, Abd A Tahrani 2, Christian Ludwig 3, Kamal Mahawar 4, GENEVA collaborators.2021
- Trends and progress of bariatric and metabolic surgery in IndiaAparna Govil Bhasker, Arun Prasad, P. Praveen Raj, Randeep Wadhawan, Manish Khaitan, Abhay Jugal Agrawal, Om Tantia, Sarfaraz J. Baig, Raj Palaniappan, H. V. Shivaram, Sumeet Shah, Mahendra Narwaria.2020
- Sump syndrome following choledochoduodenostomy.Dhaivat Vaishnav, Mahendra Narwaria.2020
- Standardization of Bariatric Metabolic Procedures: World Consensus Meeting Statement.Mohit Bhandari, M. A. L. Fobi, Jane N. Buchwald, Mahendra Narwaria.2019
- .Circulatory Omentin-1 levels but not genetic variants influence the pathophysiology of Type 2 diabetes.Nirali Rathwa 1, Roma Patel 1, Sayantani Pramanik Palit 1, Shahnawaz D Jadeja 1, Mahendra Narwaria 2, A V Ramachandran 3, Rasheedunnisa Begum.2019
- CAN CHILDREN WITH GENETIC SYNDROME BE OFFERED BARIATRIC SURGERY?Mahendra Narwaria, MS, GI.2018
- Is Bariatric Surgery to be offered in Adolescence? Mahendra Narwaria, 2018.
- Laparoscopic excision of retro pancreatic retro portal schwannoma.Dhaivat Vaishnav, Riddhi Solanki, Mahendra Narwaria.2017.
- Réponse à l’article récent de Blot C. et al. Conservative surgical management of persistent leak after sleeve gastrectomy by Roux-en-Y gastro-jejunostomy to the fistulous orifice Ramon Vilallonga, Mahendra Narwaria.2015
- 8th World Congress of obesity Surgery (IFSO-2005), at Maastricht (Netherlands)
- 1st World Congress for Interventional therapies for Type-2 diabetes-New York
- International Conference & Workshop of Laparoscopic & Bariatric Surgery, Alor Star, Malaysia.
- 15th World Congress of obesity Surgery (IFSO-2010)-Los Angeles IFSO-APC,Hokaido,Japan,2011
- 2nd World congress of Type-2 Diabetese Interventional Therapies-New york-2011 IFSO-2012,New Delhi,Aug.2012
- 4th Annual International Consensus Summit for Sleeve Gastrectomy (ICSSG-2012) Dec.2012,New York
- IFSO-APC 2012,New Delhi India-September 2012
- IFSO-APC 2013,Kaohsiung,Taiwan-April 2013
- MGB CON-2013, Paris, France-October 2013
- IFSO-APC 2015, Seoul,South Korea-April 2015
- IFSO-APC 2016,Brazil-September 2016
- MGB CON-2016, London , United Kingdom, -August 2016
- IFSO-APC 2017,Goa, India-April 2017
- MGB CON-2018, Valladolid , Spain, -June 2018
Limca Book of Record-2015 for
- Operating maximum number patients in a single day
- Operating the youngest patient Four Years & Ten Months
- First Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy In India-2004.
- First Scar less Sleeve Gastrectomy in India-2009.
- First Hybrid NOTES (Trans Vaginal) Sleeve Gastrectomy in Asia Pacific region
- Highest weight pt. had Gastric bypass surgery performed (Weight-248 kg,214 kg)-1st time in India
- Pioneer in New procedure after revision of RYGB
- OSSICON-2014 National Annual conference of Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society of India
- AIAAROCON-2011 Annual National conference of All India Association for advancing Research in Obesity,Ahmedabad(Organizing chairman)
- OSSICON-2010-Live Operative Workshop-Apollo International Hospital,Ahmedabad (Organizing Chairman)
- Obesity-2009- Live Workshop and conference for physicians and Surgeons of Gujarat state.(Organizing Chairman)
- Obesity-2008-Live Workshop and conference for physicians and Surgeons of Gujarat state.(Organizing Chairman)
- Metasurge-2008, Live workshop in Feb 2008, Mumbai. (Organizing Secretary)
- Metabolic Surgery for Diabetes and obesity-Dec-2007, GOA (Organizing Secretary)
- Obesity-2007-May, 2007 (5th Annual conference of All India Association of Advancing Research in Obesity (Organizing Chairman)
- OSSICON-2005(3rd Annual conference of Obesity Surgery Society of India)-Feb, 2005, (Organizing Secretary)
- LAPGICON-Aug, 2004(Organizing Secretary)
An Art of Lap. Suturing and Stapling-Feb, 2005(Organizing Secretary & Course Director)
- MAS-2003 Aug, 2003(Joint Organizing Secretary)
- Shery Hospital, Ahmedabad (1999-2006)
- Sterling Hospital, Ahmedabad (2001-2013)
- Narayan Hrudalaya, Bangalore ( 2005-2006)
- Apollo Hospital, Ahmedabad (2006-2013)
- Artemis Hospital , Delhi ( 2009-2010)
- Breach Candy Hospital, Mumbai ( 2017-Present)
Block V, Mondeal Business Park
S.G. Highway Thaltej
Ahmedabad 380054 India